Howdy, mates! This summer time, I am touring to Ecuador to take part in my fifth chautauqua on monetary independence. You should consider joining me. These Ecuador chautauquas — that are unrelated to the European chautauquas — are at all times a enjoyable, academic, and bonding expertise.
Clarification: Sooner or later, chautauqua founders Cheryl Reed and JL Collins parted methods. Now JL runs the European chautauquas — that are on hiatus — with Katie and Alan Donegan. Cheryl continues to run the unrelated Ecuador gatherings. Each occasions are glorious.
As at all times, I plan to discuss the intersection of cash and that means.
How are you going to discover function in your life — with or without cash? How a lot cash is sufficient? What must you do after you have achieved monetary independence? These are the kinds of questions I’ve explored at previous chautauqua occasions. And whereas I have not but ready my presentation for this yr, I count on these are the identical questions I will be exploring in July.
Different audio system this yr embody:
- Tanja Hester from Our Next Life. Tanja is an outspoken voice within the personal-finance neighborhood, working onerous to problem assumptions and to advertise monetary freedom for all. She’s the creator of the wonderful Work Non-compulsory and the award-winning Pockets Activism. (Tanja can be a fellow office-supply nerd. Severely, our chat historical past is crammed with geeky discussions of favourite pens and notebooks.)
- Piggy and Kitty (a.ok.a. Jess and Lauren) from Bitches Get Riches. Lengthy-time readers know that BGR is certainly one of my favourite cash blogs. I like how Jess and Lauren mix biting humor with deep dives into personal-finance subjects. Not a straightforward process. And the Bitches are simply as humorous in individual as they’re on the internet. (I flip to Piggy and Kitty after I need assistance with trendy popular culture. “What does S-tier imply?” “How do I make a Taylor Swift animated GIF?”)
- Jessica and Corey from The Fioneers. Whereas I’ve met Jessica and Corey, I’ve by no means actually had an opportunity to get to know them. I am keen to vary that in Ecuador. I discover their writing thought-about and considerate. I am significantly keen on their idea of Slow FI, the notion that you should use “the incremental monetary freedom [you] achieve alongside the journey to monetary independence to stay happier and more healthy lives, do higher work, and construct sturdy relationships”. This meshes nicely with my very own imaginative and prescient of the phases of economic freedom. (Final Halloween, Jessica and Corey revealed an interview with me: Money doesn’t magically fix our problems.)
And, in fact, we’ll get pleasure from a presentation from our host, Cheryl Reed. Cheryl based these cash chautauquas with JL Collins in 2013 and she or he’s hosted ten of them previously. She likes to debate happiness and pleasure and learn how to develop it in your life.
When you’re all for attending this chautauqua, you can find more information at the official website. Be aware that there are two gatherings in Ecuador this yr. If it would not work to hitch me, maybe you possibly can attend the second occasion.
Every chautauqua is completely different, in fact, however the 4 earlier retreats I’ve attended all had similarities:
- Attendees collect at a resort for per week of dialog and camaraderie. These are smallish services that enable us to spend time along with few different company. We eat and drink collectively. We stroll collectively. We play video games collectively. We discuss cash collectively. We have now enjoyable!
- Every day, one (or extra) of the presenters provides a discuss a topic expensive to her coronary heart. (I discuss cash and that means, for example.) These are l-o-n-g displays however they’re enjoyable, interactive, and informative.
- Every attendee meets one-on-one with a presenter. What you do with that point is as much as you. I’ve had individuals carry detailed spreadsheets and questions on retirement. I’ve had individuals chat with me about journey. I’ve had individuals ask for relationship recommendation (no joke!). Usually talking, it is an opportunity so that you can decide an individual’s mind about some type of subject associated to their space of experience.
- There are numerous (non-compulsory) off-site journeys to go to the native space. In Portugal, we visited a vineyard. In Ecuador, we have visited thriving markets, chocolate factories, and butterfly preserves.
From what I’ve seen, nevertheless, the actual worth is within the friendships fashioned throughout these weeks. A lot of our time is spent sitting collectively discussing life, the universe, and every part.
I am nonetheless involved with people from every of the chautauquas I’ve attended previously. A few of these people have grow to be shut mates with whom I’ve frequent contact. (Our 2016 crew — the Werewolf Hunters — even rented a home in Utah for an in-person reunion. We go to one another every time we’re in one another’s cities and have a semi-active group chat.)
I can not promise that you will type life-long mates throughout this week, however from what I’ve seen, the chances are good. And no surprise. You are gathering with a gaggle of like-minded individuals to speak about some deep, private topics. Bonding is sure to happen.
Listed here are a number of favourite photographs from previous chautauquas…
These chautauquas aren’t for everybody, and I do know that. However they’re good occasions for a certain class of people. When you assume that you are a type of individuals, hop on over to the website to check out the main points. Perhaps I will see you in Ecuador this summer time!
Another fast observe: I just lately joined my pal Grant Sabatier on the Earn & Make investments podcast for a dialogue about money burnout. These conversations with Grant and Doc G are at all times entertaining and enlightening.